Thursday, September 19, 2013

Just your basic Thursday morning...

This morning I tackled one of the one monthly chores that I never really look forward to (for a variety of reasons): The monthly budget. One of the household duties that my husband has so lovingly blessed me with the opportunity to do is account for all our spendings from the previous month, track how much is being spent and on what, and make sure that we are staying within our pre established budget. He then can take this information and make financial decisions for us, as needed.

This is a job that I usually dread doing, not just because it takes a lot of work and time, but also because each month I get hit with the reality of just where we stand financially. Like an enormous wrecking ball that comes out of nowhere and pummels you. And usually that part isn't very fun. In fact, it can be pretty depressing sometimes. This month I was especially discouraged when I realized that even though our income had increased, our expenses had just as much of an increase as well. And while we were both joyfully looking forward to the likelihood of experiencing the first month that we actually were able to save some income since I quit my job, it turns out we didn't get to that point.

After finishing my work and sending the spreadsheet to "the boss" (aka "the hubby"), I then turned to play with my toddler (he had been clamoring all over me the whole time I was working, begging for attention). As I stood outside blowing bubbles with him and watching just how much joy he could get from something so simple (and inexpensive) as bubbles, it hit me. Even though our expenditures went up unexpectedly, our income also increased just as much, right when we needed it to. This lead me to a revelation: This wasn't God taking away our ability to put money into saving each month. This was God's perfect provision to give us just what we need at the perfect time.

Watching my kid play made me realize just how much God has given us and how much He loves us. We have a full savings account and we always find other ways to save a little here and there. So why bother being depressed about something so silly as one months budget? There is always next month. Besides, we can always afford to get more bubble supplies, and bubbles will always be exciting. So at the end of the day, God really does take care of everything for us. Even when we think the numbers don't really look all that great.

And that, folks, is just your basic Thursday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment